I have years of experience at SQL. I’ve used MS access, MS Sql 2000, 2005, 2008, 2008R2, 2012, 2014, 2016, MySQL, progress and IBM Redback. I have developed an number of applications and have some knowledge of reporting services SSRS. I’ve setup sql replication, and used SSIS. I have also used third party tools like Redgate to compare and update databases, and I have used SQL sentry to monitor the SQL server estate.
SQL Server DBA
June 2015 – Present
Administer, monitor, support, enhance and improve the firm’s MS SQL server estate through its entire life cycle.
· Provides technical expertise to enable the correct application of operational procedures.
· Contributes to the planning and implementation of maintenance and installation work. Implements agreed changes and maintenance routines.
· Identifies operational problems and contributes to their resolution, checking that they are managed in accordance with agreed standards and procedures.
· Provides reports and proposals for improvement to specialists, users and managers.
· Ensures that incidents and requests are handled according to agreed procedures. Ensures that documentation of the supported components is available and in an appropriate form for those providing support. Creates and maintains support documentation.
· Engages with project management to confirm that products developed meet the acceptance criteria and are to the required standard. Feeds into change management processes.
· Ensures system configuration information is complete, current and accurate.
· Liaises with third-party support services.
· Ensures that services and components meet and continue to meet all of their agreed performance targets and service levels. Implements arrangements for disaster recovery and documents recovery procedures. Conducts testing of recovery procedures.
· Maintains/updates Knowledge Base articles.
December 2014 – June 2015 (7 months)
May 2014 – December 2014 (8 months)
My daily job was to check the live servers, making sure there were no problems and that all backups had ran successfully. I wrote a SSIS package to do this and send a email of any issues. I also gave support, compared and synchronised SQL Server database schemas. I used third party software redgate for data and schema checks. Dealing with backups, restores, adding users and permissions. optimising queries and using SQL profiler with other issues. Giving feedback on stored procedure and updating, inserting and deleting data, T-SQL. We used clustering, database mirroring, replication and failover, so it was important which servers were updated. From beta to live new databases also needed designing and configuring and monitoring utilities. We used Agile and in one sprite, I developed a tool for Porsche. Using a SSIS package, pulled data from the live servers, created a new database and backed it up in different locations, ETL.
March 2014 – December 2014 (10 months)
Lead Generation: I developed a SQL based application to generated fresh sales leads. by searching the web using keywords.
Add Media Group LTD
October 2007 – December 2013 (6 years 3 months)Manchester, United Kingdom
From October 2007 until November 2013, I worked at the Add media group, which is an internet marketing company. Their core business was supplying links, to help with a company’s SEO. The “Linknetwork” was a group of thirty servers with 13,000 domains that helped achieve that. My job was to develop this and maintain it.
From 2011, I invented a fresh sales leads generator, increasing the companies leads from 65,000 in the first eight years, to 400,000+ in the next two. This was done by crawling Google’s sponsored links using ten sql servers. The company has also contacted businesses in South Africa, India, Australia, Holland and New Zealand using the crawler to generate leads.
July 2007 – September 2007 (3 months)Manchester, United Kingdom
In 2007 I worked for British Airways as a ; my role was to develop an invoice generation and notification service. Which used MS SQL 2005; MS Reporting Services for the invoices; MS Notification service to sent the email; VS.net 2005 C# for the protocols to add the file to the email and to generate the reports into PDF’s or xml; XSLT to format the email sent by NS 2005.
Federation of Small Businesses
2004 – 2007 (3 years)Blackpool, United Kingdom
From 2004 to 2007, my main role within the FSB was the development and technical design of the online membership system and online directory serving over 200,000 members. I was responsible for capturing the requirements of the FSB and the wider membership. I was the lead developer for this project that delivered a solution using IBM Redback with a browser based front end.
The membership system not only managed the FSB member details but was the basis of the online directory for determining content access which I had developed using.net 2003 and again later using .net 2005. This online directory allowed the federation members to collaborate, network, and share best practice.
During these 3 years I was also responsible for the mentoring, support and coordination of a team consisting of 33 web designers who generated the content for the FSB websites using MS SQL 2000.
One of my other successes was when I designed and built a web application to deliver media (movies, audio and pictures) and content from events and conferences.
Local Government Association
2003 – 2004 (1 year)Manchester, United Kingdom
In 2003-2004 I worked as the lead developer on a VB6 project to deliver a front-end application to Local Government.
2000 – 2003 (3 years)Birmingham, United Kingdom
From 2000 to 2003 I developed a website for Brintons. When I started, Brintons (world’s largest manufacturers of carpet) had less than 100 hits per month on their site; by 2003 they were receiving thousands of visitors per day. The site was developed to showcase their range of carpets and later was expanded to provide online carpet customisation and ordering. In 2003 I developed a CD version that Brintons then sent out as part of marketing campaign run in many countries around the world.
1998 – 2000 (2 years)Manchester, United Kingdom
After leaving University I worked with Renold PLC developing a product selector, a VB application using SQL to query the database, which was distributed in the USA, and europe.